The Rajah Quilt

The Rajah Quilt

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hello and Welcome

I am not sure what to do here, but I want to share some of my family history, and the links it has to some of my special interests now in the 21st Century.

I am a 6th generation Tasmanian and very proud of my convict heritage.  I have called this 'Rajah's Granddaughter' because my great, great, great grandmother Grace was a Rajah convict.  The 'Rajah' made one voyage to Tasmania, from England, in 1841.  On board this ship were 180 female convicts.  They had with them materials to keep them meaningfully occupied - including 10 yards of fabric, four balls of white cotton sewing thread, a ball each of black, red and blue thread, black wool, 24 hanks of coloured thread, a thimble, 100 needles, threads, pins, scissors and two pounds of patchwork pieces.  The result of their work is the Rajah Quilt, now a famous historical textile kept in the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra.

I'll tell you more about this next time,

Bernadette.

No comments:

Post a Comment